Friday, June 4, 2010

Let's talk.

I've always been terrible at keeping this thing current. Too much happens in such a short span of time that when it's time to write again I'm overwhelmed. This summer that's going to change. Armed with a netbook, wayfarers & a phone capable of jotting quick notes as refrence I fully intend on reviewing or at the very least writing about all the shows I'm going to from here on out.

Tomorrow night at Tazza is Kokomo whom I am very excited for. I love Cordey. His music is energetic & really dark most of the time. Similar to Venetian Snares although in my opinion Kokomo is definitely noisier. For sure that's a good thing. Excellent music to just jam out & rock out & hit people to. Not to mention Cordey has been my buddy since I first started going to underground shows in ProvvyDance. I can still remember the first time I set foot inside Narwhal Arms, Cordey's then home/my favorite venue ever. It wasn't anything special & I was quite early, so Cordey explained that when they say things like 9pm they end up meaning 10-10:30pm, though being the nice guy that he is he allowed me to take a seat inside & wait for everyone to get started. Since I'd already done my small tour-de-bars in downtown I figured I'd hang out.

The venue really wasnt much, just a large room as a performance space with random types of art all over the place, generally just really random. I could tell right then & there that this was my place. After a while I became a regular fixture there for the shows that I liked, until of course everyone left & it became what it is today: an empty shell of what once was fantastic parties.

But you can't call it a party, it's a show, but to most people it really is just another party. I guess that's what separates me from everyone else, I'm actually there for the music. Not to say most people don't show up for the music or anything, but it really seems to me that doing blow is just so much more exciting than being sober & actually watching the performers. I guess I'll never understand why the line for the bathroom in most of these places is longer than ever, but that could just be because I'm totally & completely against that shit.

Oh well, whatever it's not drugs I'm talking about, it's music.

During the time I knew of Narwhal Arms I saw many great bands, from EAR PWR, to Juiceboxxx, to Javelin to Future Islands. Every show was better than the next & even the last show ever performed there just left me wanting more. There's something really special about performances like that. Bands that have that kind of effect are really lasting, at least in my mind. I'll never forget the night we formed a mosh-pit to Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus immediately before Juiceboxxx tore the roof off that place. It really seems as if every show I go to is the best show I've been to & it's wonderful.

Keeping everything positive can be tough, but with the right music scene it's not at all hard. It's not about fitting in or being a part of anything it's just about music. Fuck anyone who believes you've got to dress, act & look the part in order to be a huge fan of that genre. Either way, it's always been music for me. For my entire life I've been interested in every aspect of music, from the bare essentials needed to perform & record music to watching my own tastes age & define themselves. I remember many years ago when I was into pop punk, or even earlier when I was into "Gangsta Rap". One could say I was quite a trendthumper, but I'd have to disagree. It's always been what I was exposed to that I enjoyed. Why else would I hate what's being played on the radio these days, even if it is trendy? I mean shit, Lady Gaga is fucking blowing up everywhere & I would pay an exorbitant amount of money to slice her throat, so I mean what's that say?


Oh right, it says that I'm one of those faggy ass indie fucks who only likes bands for the first few listens & then forgets all about it. I guess you'd be right, but overall you're wrong. All music old or new holds a place in my heart. I will always remember what I enjoy & what I used to enjoy. Ironically it's always been the same, really, it just had to come full circle for me to realize it.


Goodnight moon.
xox

No comments: